Brrrrrr.....when it's cold outside, cozy up by the Christmas tree and a warm fire with a cup of homemade peppermint hot cocoa. The rich, creamy chocolate paired with peppermint candy canes is a match made in holiday heaven! And with only a handful of ingredients, it's a delicious delight you can whip up in a hurry. Whether it's for your family on Christmas Eve or as an after-dinner treat for guests, this is a homemade hot cocoa that's sweet to look at and to sip. We think you'll love this peppermint hot cocoa recipe so much it just may become your newest holiday tradition. [image:1]
- 4 cups milk
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped, or ½ cup sweet chocolate chips
- 4 Spangler Candy Canes, crushed
- 4 Spangler Candy Canes, for stir sticks
- Whipped cream
How to make it
- Place four unwrapped Spangler candy canes in a zip bag. Crush with a mallet or the side of a rolling pin until finely crushed. (Large pieces of candy canes are difficult to melt in the cocoa.) Set aside.
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Once milk begins to steam, add chocolate and crushed candy canes. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Divide mixture among four mugs. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of crushed candy canes. Add one candy cane to each mug to use as a stir stick.
- Holiday Tip: For an extra fun and festive touch, dress up your homemade hot cocoa mugs with a peppermint rim. Just moisten the rim with water and roll in crushed candy canes.