Find allergen information by product type and information on re-bagged items.
Spangler Candy Company is dedicated to making quality products, including favorites like Dum Dums, Spangler Candy Canes, Circus Peanuts, and Saf-T-Pops. We're also focused on the safety of our products. This is especially important given the rise in recent years of food allergies, food intolerances and cases of celiac disease.
We make every effort to ensure that our products are free of the most common allergens. So whether you or someone in your life, is on a gluten-free diet or has an allergy to wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, shellfish, or sesame, you can feel confident that Spangler products packaged in our facility are free of the top common allergens.
Peace of mind is so important when it comes to food allergies. Please see the paragraph on re-bagged items below.
If you have questions about our ingredients, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact our Quality Assurance department. Check the Spangler FAQs page first. An icon in the square below denotes that particular product is free from the allergen listed.
Purchase Dum Dums, Saf-T-Pops, and Candy Canes free of the top common allergens online.
*A note about soy.
Our products may contain trace amounts of soy oil, a processing aid in making candy. The soy oil has been refined, bleached and deodorized, a process that removes the protein that can cause an allergic reaction. Because individual sensitivities vary, however, we have chosen to list the soy oil.
CIRCUS PEANUTS PRODUCT EXCEPTIONS
Spangler Candy Circus Peanuts are free of top common allergens including wheat, gluten, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, shellfish, and sesame. All Circus Peanuts items are manufactured in Bryan, Ohio with the exception of two items listed below. These items are packaged in a separate facility which is not free of allergens.
7 Ounce Stand-Up Re-closeable Pouch UPC: 0 30800 52100 9
6 Pack Tray UPC: 0 30800 52200 6
Allergen Statements on Re-bagged Items
In today’s candy market it is a regular practice for retailers to have their own store’s private label bag. In most of these situations, we do not pack these items ourselves but the retailer or a customer of ours purchases and repackages our items.
The allergen-free claim may be different as these companies often package other items that may contain peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, wheat, gluten, eggs, fish, shellfish, sesame, or soy in their facilities. Trace elements of these allergens could come into contact with our items.
To be confident that you are getting an allergen-free Spangler candy item, check the back of the item you are purchasing for the allergen statement. Spangler Candy bags manufactured and packaged in our facility will have all of the following identifiers:
- Current Spangler allergen statement: "This product does not contain peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, sesame, wheat, or gluten. It has been manufactured on dedicated equipment."
- Address line on the back of the bag: Manufactured by Spangler Candy Company, Bryan, Ohio, 43506 USA.
- UPC code begins with “0 30800”. This is the code for our manufacturing facility.
Families with allergic children take great care to determine the origin of the food their children consume to protect against an allergic reaction. Families should ask the origin of any candy or food product that is in an open bowl or container to ensure what their children consume is free of allergens.
If you have questions, please contact our Quality Assurance department at email@example.com or toll-free 888-636-4221.
5 WAYS WE MAKE SURE OUR PRODUCTS ARE ALLERGEN FREE.
- Our manufacturing facilities are free of gluten (from wheat, barley, and rye), dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, shellfish, and sesame.
- Spangler Candy products packaged in our facility are made on dedicated manufacturing equipment.
- We clean every manufacturing line, every day.
- We notify our suppliers of our allergen standards. We request an annual allergen report from each supplier to verify that the ingredients they provide are allergen free.
- At least twice a year, our products are tested for allergens by an independent food lab.
DID YOU KNOW? FACTS ABOUT FOOD ALLERGIES AND INTOLERANCES IN THE UNITED STATES.
- 1 in 13 children have a food allergy – that’s two in every classroom
- According to a study released in 2013 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, food allergies among children increased approximately 50% between 1997 and 2011.2
- The economic cost of children’s food allergies is nearly $25 billion per year 3
- Eight foods account for 90 percent of all reactions: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, wheat, fish and shellfish 4
- An estimated 9 million adults - or 4 percent have food allergies 5
- Nearly 6 million children – or 8 percent have food allergies 6
- Boys appear to develop food allergies more than girls. 7
- Of food allergic children, peanut is the most prevalent allergen, followed by milk and then shellfish 8
- 30.4 percent of food allergic children have multiple food allergies 9
Sources: (1) Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN), (2) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, (3-7) Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE), (8,9) American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI)