Teachers: Are you looking for a way to motivate your young students? Make a prize box for your classroom! This back to school craft is bright and colorful and will be sure to please your students as you dish out Saf-T-Pops for a job well done!
- Dum Dum Wrappers (we used wrappers from Cherry, Blueberry, Cream Soda and Mango but you can use your favorite flavor of Dum Dums!)
- Lunch Box or other plastic container with a flip lid
- Decoupage glue (we used Mod Podge)
- Sponge Paint Brush
- Old newspaper
- Construction Paper
- Scissors with fun edges
- Fine Tip Sharpie
How to make it
- You'll need Dum Dum wrappers for this craft so carefully unwrap 20-30 Dum Dums. You may need more or less depending on the size of prize box you are making. Take care to keep the wrappers in one piece. As you remove them from the Dum Dums, lay them flat on the table and smooth out with your hand. Save the Dum Dums for another use.
- Lay down newspaper and then open your lunchbox/plastic container and lay upside down on the table.
- Using a sponge paint brush, paint a layer of decoupage glue (we used Mod Podge) on the outside of your lunchbox/plastic container and then apply your Dum Dum wrappers any way you like, taking care to smooth them out as you go. We used wrappers from Cherry, Blueberry, Cream Soda and Mango Dum Dums. Once your wrappers are on, apply another layer of Mod Podge and then let it dry. This can take up to 2 hours.
- While your container dries, make a sign to go on the front! Use scissors with fund edges to cut out a rectangular shape of construction paper. Then use the fine tip sharpie to write on a message like "Prize Box". You can also decorate your sign with other back to school drawings like apples, rulers or the ABCs.
- When your container is dry, use tape (or a bit of Mod Podge) to adhere the sign to the front or top of your container.
- Fill it up with treats! We recommend Saf-T-Pops because they're perfect for kids of any age and come in a variety of flavors! Be sure to keep some extras on hand for when your prize box gets low!