Send your kids to school with a yummy back to school treat of ABC cookies! These cookies are super easy to make and are sure to put a smile on anyone's face when they find them in their lunchbox! And, they're extra special because not only do they have icing on top (and who doesn't like icing??), but they also are decorated with crushed Saf-T-Pops! [image:1]
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Baking Sheets
- Butter knife
- Kitchen mallet
- Zip-top bags
- ½ c butter, softened
- 2 c. white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 c. flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk
How to make it
For the Cookies:
- Cream butter and sugar. Then, beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. (The dough gets pretty stiff so you may need to mix it with your hands!)
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour. (Overnight is OK, too!)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out to ¼ - ½" thick on a floured surface. Using A, B and C shaped cookie cutters, cut into shapes. Use a metal lifter to carefully lift the cookies from your counter and place on a cookie sheet. Be sure to keep cookies approximately 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 400°F for 4-6 minutes. Watch closely as they may burn!!
- Remove from pans promptly using a metal lifter and set aside to cool.
- Once your ABC Cookies have cooled completely, it's time to ice and decorate them!
For the Icing:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir in additional milk 1 tsp at a time if icing is too stiff.
Decorating the Cookies:
- Remove the wrappers from 10-12 same-colored Saf-T-Pops and place them in a zip top bag.
- Using a kitchen mallet, crush the Saf-T-Pops until they are your desired size.
- Remove Saf-T-Pop sticks from the bag.
- If you would like multiple colors of sprinkles, repeat these steps with a different color of Saf-T-Pop.
- Finally, using a butter knife, spread icing on your ABC cookies and then sprinkle on some Saf-T-Pop sprinkles. Let cookies rest for an hour so that the icing sets. And, ta-da! Your back to school treats are ready! Enjoy!