Homemade Mother's Day Gift Ideas
If you follow our crafts, or have been browsing, you probably came across our Dum Dums Easter Topiary. A great way to repurpose the craft is to make a homemade Mother's Day gift with it. Moms love seeing their kid's work, and especially cherish the memories each art piece holds.
Use this how-to for the creation of your own homemade Mother's Day candy bouquet that Mom can keep around the house or share.
Homemade Mother's Day Gift Idea - Candy BouquetWhat you'll need:
• Assorted Dum Dums
• Pastel ribbon
• Floral foam
• 3" Styrofoam ball
• 2 wooden dowels
• Cylinder glass vase
• Cardstock (printed and solid color in Mom's favorite colors)
• Hot glue
• Ribbon (one for card, one for vase)
• Spanish moss
How to make it:
1. Insert one dowel into the 'bottom' of your Styrofoam ball. This will ensure you will have a place for it after covering it with lollipops.
2. Stick Dum Dums into your Styrofoam ball until it is completely covered. If you find that the lollipop sticks begin running into each other through the foam, you can trim the sticks with scissors.
3. Once you cover the Styrofoam in Dum Dum Pops, the next step is to work on the vase.
4. Depending on how large your vase is, we found it is easiest to fill a cylindrical container with Styrofoam that has been cut into 3" by 3" pieces. Make sure you have enough foam to fill the vase up ¾ of the way.
5. To fill your vase, start with a thin layer of Spanish moss on the bottom, and start to build the Styrofoam blocks up while making sure to include moss on the sides. This will ensure no pieces of Styrofoam will peak through.
6. Build the Styrofoam and Spanish moss to ¾ full. Once you get to this point, your dowels will stay put. Fill the rest of the vase with Spanish moss.
7. To create our custom message for 'mom', we took two colors of cardstock, one solid and one printed, and cut rectangles. Our dimensions are as follows:
• Printed: 8" x 5"
• Solid: (1) 6" x 4" (1) 1" x 5"
*Note: We ran scissors along the edges to give a distressed look to the solid colored cardstock.
8. Glue your rectangles on in any fashion; make sure to create a true masterpiece by you. Once you have the shapes together, you can tie a ribbon from the back to the front on the smaller solid rectangle.
9. Write your personal message to mom on your solid colored rectangle.
10. The next step is to take your second dowel and glue it at a 45 degree angle to the back of your card. Once you let this dry, then you can piece together your whole project.
11. Place the Mother's Day candy bunch dowel into the center of your vase. Next, insert the second dowel with the card in at an angle so the top edge is level.
12. Fluff the Spanish moss, and take your larger ribbon to tie across the vase for an additional pop of color.
Now you have a homemade Mother's Day gift with a sweet Dum Dums twist!