Spangler Candy FAQs
We pride ourselves on great customer service and providing answers to popular questions regarding our products. See the most commonly asked questions for our company and brands.
From nutritional information to how to arrange a tour of our factory to telling us your ideas for a new Dum Dums flavor, we've assembled this comprehensive list of the most popular questions we're asked.
However, if you have a question not answered here, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will answer promptly.
- I received a Savannah Blueberry Pop that says "Winner"... What do I do next?
- Where can I buy Spangler products?
- Where can I get information on your company for a report?
- How can I get a donation from your company?
- I have a new product idea for your company -
where should I send it?
- Do you have catalogs, sales brochures, or price
- I am from outside the United States. How do I
get export information?
- Where can I find Astro Pops?
- Who owns Spangler Candy Company?
- Do you offer public tours of the candy company?
Dum Dums FAQs
- What positive nutrition facts can I share about Dum Dums?
- Can I buy just one particular flavor of Dum Dums?
- Can you send me some free Dum Dums?
- What is the history of the Dum Dums, and how did it get its name?
- Why aren't all flavors in every bag of Dum Dums?
- What is the Dum Dums Mystery Flavor™?
- How many flavors of Dum Dums are there?
- How are Dum Dums made?
- Why aren't Dum Dums bigger? Why are Dum Dums so small?
- When/How do you come up with new flavors of Dum Dums?
- You should make Dum Dums with plastic sticks. The stick gets soggy...
- I can no longer find my favorite Dum Dums flavor.
- Where can I find Dum Dum Pops in Canada?
- Why are codes printed on the bottom of Dum Dum wrappers?
Candy Cane FAQs
- What is the best way to store candy canes for next Christmas? Can I freeze them?
- How many calories in a Spangler Candy Cane?
Circus Peanut FAQs
- Is there any way I can soften a Marshmallow Circus Peanut if it becomes hard?
- Do you have any recipes using Spangler Marshmallow Circus Peanuts?
- What is the flavor of Circus Peanuts?
A:The Savannah Blueberry Dum Dums wrapper is intended to announce Savannah Blueberry as the winner of our 2009 Pop Star contest. This pop was the result of an online contest in which consumers could enter a game code from specially marked bags of Dum Dums, select a flavor, and enter a name to have that flavor created just for them. The winner, Savannah, chose Blueberry, so the flavor created for her was "Savannah Blueberry". Read more about the Grand Prize winner announcement.
A:We encourage you to support retailers in your area that carry Spangler products. Go to our Where to Buy page to find retailers in your area. If they do not stock Spangler products, ask them to do so. If you cannot find our products, you can Order Online. For distributors or retailers looking for larger quantities, please contact a Spangler broker in your area.
Here is a list of national retailers that carry Dum Dums. This list may not be all-inclusive and is subject to change.
If you are a local or regional retailer, send us an email with your address, and we will reply with the nearest candy distributor in your area that carries Spangler products.
A:Thank you for your interest in Spangler Candy. All of the information we can give out is available on this web site. Simply go to Spangler Candy and click on the links that interest you. Because we are a private company, we do not give out financial, sales & marketing, or manufacturing information. For these types of reports or projects, a publicly traded company is your best option.
To learn more about the candy industry in general, try the National Confectioners Association at www.candyusa.org.
A: We receive a tremendous number of requests from worthwhile causes, and therefore have strict guidelines governing our support. In most cases our donations are limited; and only to local area events and organizations if they meet our guidelines. If you would still like to submit a request for a donation, please send a written request to Spangler Candy Company via mail, fax, or email at least six weeks prior to the event for consideration.
A: It is the policy of Spangler Candy not to accept unsolicited ideas because of the difficulty in distinguishing and separating them from similar ideas generated internally. The possibility of a misunderstanding arising out of the acceptance and consideration of unsolicited ideas is sufficiently great that the potential benefit does not outweigh the risk.
We suggest you contact our trade organization, the NCA: email: email@example.com, website: www.candyusa.org, address: 1101 30th St NW, Suite 200, Washington, D.C. 20007, telephone: 202-534-1440, and fax: 202-337-0637.
A: We have sales brochures for our Regular Line, Valentine, Halloween, and Christmas lines. Please e-mail us with your catalog request, noting the type of products you are looking for, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For price lists (for orders over 350 lbs), contact a candy broker in your area.
A: Spangler distributes its products in Canada through Allan Candy, and in Puerto Rico via Pujals & Bros. Other exports are handled through our export distributor, Dealers Food Products. For contact information, see the export broker page.
A: In May 2010, Astro Pop® LLC announced the acquisition of the rights for Astro Pops® from Spangler Candy of Bryan, Ohio. Bee International is now the exclusive distributor for Astro Pops in the United States. For more information on Astro Pops, see the web site at www.astropopcandy.com, or the Facebook fan page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Official-Astro-Pop-Candy-Fan-Page/121770307847422?v=wall&ref=ts.
In 1987, Spangler Candy acquired the Astro Pops Brand from the Nellson Candy Company of Los Angeles California. Astro Pops, rocket-shaped lollipops, were reputed to be the longest lasting lollipop on earth. In September of 2004, Spangler discontinued the product line.
A: We are a privately held candy company. We have been in the candy business since 1906 - founded by Arthur Spangler.
A:Tours of the factory on our Dum Dums Trolley are on Monday through Friday from 10 am to 3 pm ET during summer hours (June/July/August). Fall/Winter/Spring tour hours are Wednesday through Friday from 10 am to 3 pm ET. There are no reservations. Tours are on a first-come, first served basis. Tour prices are: Adults $5, Children 6-18 $3, Children 5 & Under Free with a paid Adult, Seniors $4. Tours will not be offered on any day that is a holiday for the factory. You may wish to call ahead for information at 888.636.4221 ext. 359. We also have a company store/museum.
A: Here are a few positive nutrition facts about Dum Dums.
- Each Dum Dums Pop has less than 25 calories and no fat.
- One way to help prevent obesity is to exercise "portion control". Dum Dums are a perfectly sized treat, providing a quick, high-flavor treat without consuming too much.
- It is important to allow treats, such as candy and other snacks, in moderation rather than eliminate them. Children who learn the importance of balanced eating will be better-equipped to manage their own diet as adults.
- Candy does not contribute a large percentage of the fat and sugar in the American diet. In fact, less than two percent of the fat and ten percent of the sugar in our diets are supplied by candy. Most of the fat actually comes from the high-fat animal products we eat. The main sources of sugar in America's diets are sugary beverages, baked goods, and frozen desserts. (Candy Myths from candyusa.org web site).
- Dum Dums do not contain any of the top common food allergens, including peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, wheat, or gluten. Dum Dums are manufactured on dedicated equipment. Dum Dums Chewy Pops made in the USA are free of peanuts, tree nuts, egg, gluten, and milk. Dum Dums Chewy Pops made in Brazil are manufactured in a facility where peanuts and milk are used in the manufacturing of other products.
- Most Dum Dums are kosher approved by the Orthodox Union. Go to the Product FAQ page for more information.
A:We sell boxes of single flavor Dum Dums in the flavor of your choice at our online Candy Store site.
A:Unfortunately, we are unable to send out free Dum Dums or samples of our new flavors. You can purchase Dum Dums at many local retailers. You can purchase Dum Dums via our Online Candy Store web site at www.spanglercandy.com. Many fine businesses also purchase Dum Dums and give them away as a thank-you to their customers. If your local business does not give out Dum Dums, ask them to carry "America's Favorite Giveaway Lollipop®".
A:Dum Dums were originated by Akron Candy Company in Bellevue, Ohio, in 1924. I.C. Bahr, the early sales manager of the company, named the ball-shaped candy on a stick and figured Dum Dums was a word any child could say. Spangler Candy purchased the Dum Dums in 1953 from Akron Candy Company and moved the operation to Bryan, Ohio.
A:We try to maintain a roughly equal proportion of flavors in the bags. Sometimes, due to wrapper changes, one or more of the flavors may not be packed out for a period of time.
A: The Mystery Flavor™ is a secret. We can only reveal that the Mystery Flavor continuously changes and is not limited to current Dum Dums flavors. It's up to Dum Dums fans to guess the flavor of these mysterious pops.
A: We have many flavors of Dum Dums, but usually about 16 flavors + the Mystery Flavor™ are produced at one time for the current assortment. We base our choices on feedback from consumers, votes for flavors, and our laboratory's ability to create high quality flavors. New flavors in the assortment will be highlighted on our web site and packaging.
A:Dum Dums are made from a mixture of sugar and corn syrup. After the batch is cooked, it is placed in a large mixer and the color and flavor are added. After these ingredients are mixed together well, the batch of candy moves through a batch roller and press which forms the head of the lollipop and inserts the stick. After the candy cools, it is wrapped and sent by a conveyor belt where it is placed in bags or boxes, and then boxed for shipment. Check out our lollipop production process!
A:Most of our customers feel that Dum Dums are just the right size for a perfect treat. They are quick, convenient, and packed with flavor. They're just right for kids (and big kids too)! One positive way to maintain good nutrition is to exercise "portion control". Each lollipop has fewer than 26 calories and no fat!
A:We base our choices on feedback from consumers, votes for flavors, and our laboratory's ability to create high quality flavors. New flavors in the assortment will be highlighted on our website and packaging.
A:In the past, we have experimented with plastic sticks; however, because of their unbending nature, we received complaints from consumers about the possibility of injury. Plastic sticks can break in the manufacturing process, possibly allowing plastic pieces to get into the candy. For these reasons, we have continued to use paper sticks. We add a small amount of food grade wax to the sticks to minimize the condition you describe.
Dum Dums Gum Pops or Dum Dums Chewy Pops that have plastic sticks were manufactured in Brazil and have been in a plant with peanut and/or milk allergens. Dum Dums Gum Pops or Dum Dums Chewy Pops that have paper sticks were manufactured in the USA and are free of the top common allergens.
A:We keep the core and unique flavors in the assortment, and rotate new flavors in periodically. If you love a recently retired flavor, you may be able to purchase a box of that flavor on our web site at www.spanglercandy.com.
A: Dum Dums are distributed by the Allan Candy Company in Canada. Please see their web site at www.allancandy.com, or contact their Consumer Relations Coordinator:
Toll-free fax: 1-866-944-7416
A: The codes will be used in a new, online, Save Wraps for Stuff program coming soon. When the new program is ready to launch, an announcement will be made on dumdumpops.com. The codes cannot be used at this time.
A:Regular Saf-T-Pops come in Cherry, Grape, Orange, and Apple. Swirl Saf-T-Pops come in Blueberry & Vanilla, Orange & Vanilla, Strawberry & Vanilla, and Cherry & Vanilla.
A: Saf-T-Pops have a soft fiber-cord loop handle, which is safer should a child fall with a pop in his or her mouth. Saf-T-Pops are individually wrapped, which keeps the product free from dirt and contamination. Saf-T-Pops are also free of major allergens (see our allergen FAQ). However, just like with any food consumed by small children, it is important that the appropriate level of adult supervision is present during consumption.
A:The best way to store hard candy for a length of time is to place it in a zip lock bag and store in a dry place. Do not store candies in the freezer or refrigerator, as the moisture is too high.
A:We manufacture different sizes of candy canes. The caloric value will vary with the size of the candy cane.
Listed are the different weights and caloric values.
1.0 oz - 110 calories
.50 oz - 55 calories
.15 oz - 17 calories
A:You can soften hard marshmallow peanuts if you put them in the microwave for approximately 8-10 seconds, (microwave times may vary).
A:Go to our Circus Peanut recipe page for a great Circus Peanut gelatin treat.
A:Although Spangler Circus Peanuts are peanut-shaped marshmallows, they contain absolutely no peanuts. They are actually banana flavored. Spangler Marshmallow Circus Peanuts are a delicious fat-free candy.